Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Again Sleep Issues!!

I just really wish that babies could be born with the ability to always sleep through the night. Ryan is out of town again and last night was the worst night I think that Ethan has ever had. I maybe got an hour of sleep. I don't know what to do! I feel like a horrible mother because I have no patience in the night hours. And it is so hard when he just won't stop crying. What am I suppose to do? I don't know what is wrong with him. I thought maybe he was teething but I tried everything the Oragel, Tylenol, Motrin, and those teething tablets. Nothing was working. He would only sleep if I was holding him or laying next to him in my bed. I am so tired today. I really don't know if I can handle another night like last night. Should I take him to the doctor again. He does have a runny nose and he started coughing last night too. I tried to just let him cry himself to sleep last night but that was way to hard on me. Whenever I would walk in there while he was crying he would just look at me with the most sad eyes and wonder why I wasn't in there comforting him. I really need help and some more great advice!

7 comments:

Celeste and Jared said...

Hey Ashley,
That is so frustrating. My advice would be to give it another night or two. Is he okay during the day? Or is he not napping well either? If he is miserable all the time, then something is going on, like a cold or teething. Although it is important for babies to be able to sleep on their own, there is also exceptions. Like if he isn't feeling well and Ryan is out of town, then I don't think that it is wrong to let him sleep with you, if that is the only way you can get some rest. I hope it gets better fast. If you need to talk just call me!

Laura H. said...

I am so sorry. That's the worst when you don't don't what's wrong, or even if anything is. I like the advice of just giving it another night. Babies are human too - sometimes they're just cranky. And it really is ok to spoil him sometimes. If the only way to get him to sleep is for him to be with you then that's worth it for a couple nights. I wish I had better advice this time. I hate to say it, but sometimes you just need to close doors, shut off the monitor, and do your best to let him put himself back to sleep. Sometimes when a parent goes in there to comfort them a lot all it does is overstimulate them and keep them awake longer. Good luck!

stevie kay said...

We finally had to let our five month old cry it out after two months of me getting three hours of sleep a night. I took two or three nights, but it was well worth it now that she sleeps through the night. If you decide to do that, I would definitely wait until your husband comes home so you have support. You can't go in Ethan's room at all, and you'll have to spend the entire night telling yourself that even though it's hard, you're teaching him important skills - to comfort himself and to sleep through the night.

It's not for everyone though. I would just let him sleep with you until your hubby comes home and can help.

♥ kimberly said...

Ooohhh, I know it's hard. Hayden hasn't been sleeping well at all since Brett's been gone. But if you need him to sleep with you, I agree it's okay for a few nights so you both can get the sleep you need. And prayer. Goodness that's a huge help. Good luck!

Kristine said...

I don't really have any more advice than what's already been said, but I just wanted you to know I was thinking about you! It's hard to be on your own, and I hope it gets better soon!!

Ashlee and Shane said...

I'm sorry! That is tough! Did you give it another night? Did he do the same thing? If so, i would take him in just to be sure! :)It sounds like this is something he doesn't do unless something is wrong...? good luck! Keep us updated!

Cole Webley said...

One more night and then take him to the doctor. There are a lot of things going around. The doctor could give you some advice if there is nothing wrong. So sorry! If it makes you feel better, I don't think any mother has much patience in the night ;).

Love ya! Jen